There are a few things you can do to ensure that exercise is not only good for your body, but also good for your skin. You don’t have to pack your entire regimen in your gym bag!
Applying antioxidant before workout can be very useful.(Examples we like are Revision Vitamin C Lotion 30% or Skin Ceuticals Phloretin CF Serum or Gel)
- Our skin is constantly fighting free radicals and applying a topical vitamin C before your workout will help protect skin whether you are exercising at the gym or outdoors.
- Ideally, you should remove your makeup before working out.(Examples we like are Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes)
- The combination of sweat and makeup can lead to a buildup that can clog pores. Cleansing towelettes are great to use before a workout. In addition, it is smart to go light on hair products before a workout. Heavy conditioners or styling products can travel down your face or back when you sweat and clog pores.
Bring your cleanser with you to wash face after any workout.(Examples we like are La Roche-Posay Toleriane Cleanser or Skin Ceuticals LHA Cleanser)
- It is always a good idea to cleanse your skin right after a vigorous workout to minimize any chance of clogged pores. Any gentle cleanser is sufficient, however oilier skin types are best with a salicylic based cleanser.
Swimmers need to protect their skin from salt and chlorine.(Examples we like are MD Solar Sciences Mineral Crème SPF50 which contains 17% zinc oxide)
- Swimming is so great for our bodies, but can wreak havoc on our skin! Salt and chlorine can be so irritating and contribute to dryness and rashes, especially in those with sensitive skin. Applying SPF that contains high percentage of zinc will create a barrier between skin and water. Mineral only sunscreens not only protect from the sun, they physically protect skin from damaging chlorine. Even if you swim at night, you need to wear a mineral sunscreen to protect your skin from the damaging effects of the water. Rinse after swimming and moisturize.
You don’t need to bring the entire contents of your bathroom to your workout.
- If you work out at lunchtime and have already applied your am skincare routine of antioxidant, eye cream, moisturizer, and SPF, you don’t need to reapply your entire regimen again, since the products will have absorbed. Just reapply your sunscreen after cleansing your face.
Need a little help deciding which products are right for your skin? Send us an email or give us a call and our skincare specialist will recommend which products are right for you!