Have you noticed your skin being more itchy, rough, and dry? Decreased humidity and increased hot baths and heat in the house combine to draw the moisture out of the skin.
Here are 4 simple tips to winterize your skin:
- Moisturize when you get out of the shower while your skin is still damp.
- Try applying Theraplex Clear Lotion, which is actually an oil, to your wet skin before you towel off. Our patients love this product because it is quick, simple, and doesn’t leave a greasy feel.
- If a cream is more your style, our favorites are:
- Skin Ceuticals Retexturizing Treatment for bumpy skin.
- Cerave Cream for severely dry skin.
2. Avoid fragranced products if your skin is itchy. The chemicals that make your product smell good could be irritating your skin. Look for the words fragrance-free on product labels.
3. Avoid harsh cleansers and soaps, these can strip your skin of its natural oils. Ivory, Caress, and deodorant soaps are frequent causes of dry itchy skin. We like Dove Sensitive Skin Soap, or Lever 2000 if you want an antibacterial cleanser.
4. Consider using a humidifier while you sleep to add moisture back.